The Yamaha YPG-535 88-key portable grand piano keyboard is one of Yamaha’s most popular keyboards and comes equipped with a highly realistic key action and grand piano sound. The piano has a an attractive backlit LCD display as well as many other features that will let you use the piano for a variety of different applications and playing styles. In this Yamaha YPG-535 review, we’ll take a look at these features and determine who should purchase this digital piano.
- Your purchase includes One Yamaha Portable Grand Piano, YPG535 model | Music Rest, Power Supply (PA-150), Sustain Pedal (FC5), Owner’s Manual and CD-ROM
- Piano dimensions (with stand) – 53-1/3” W x 30-1/2” H x 19-1/8” | Weight (with stand) – 37 lbs. | Display Size – 320 x 240 dots
- Specifications: Headphones – 1 | Sustain Pedal – 1 | USB to device | USB to host | Reverb – 9 types | Chorus – 4 types | Master EQ – 5 types
- Yamaha Portable Grand comes with 30 built-in songs plus 70 more on an included CD-ROM and an interactive lesson system, divided into left and right hand parts, for learning them
- Keyboard is not weighted. Easy-to-use panel, a wealth of piano-centric features including piano-style keys, Graded Soft Touch (GST) action with different levels of resistance and a high-resolution stereo piano sample
*last price update on 2021-04-20
The piano tone on the YPG-535 is sampled from a grand piano and is made to sound as realistic and true to the instrument as possible. Along with this, the piano is able to produce an astounding total of 500 different voices, including 361 of Yamaha’s signature XGlite voices, giving you more than enough variety to choose from.
All of these voices are pushed out through dual 12 inch speakers with 6W amplifiers, resulting in plenty of resounding volume. All said, the sound quality of the YPG-535 is impressively realistic.
Whether you are learning how to play on this piano or using it in live performances, the speakers, number of voices to choose from, and quality of the notes produced are all well above standard.
Key Action and Realism
The YPG-535 comes equipped with a GST (Graded Soft Touch) keyboard that provides a nice realistic key action that increases in weight as the notes go lower, just like an acoustic piano. The keys are a little light, but for most pianists it isn’t enough to be a problem.
Best of all, the YPG-535 comes with Yamaha’s Advanced Wave Memory technology that detects how hard the keys have been struck and produces the correct note accordingly. Whether you press the keys gently or strike them hard, the YPG-535 will draw from its library of recorded sounds and produce an accurate, enjoyable playing experience.
The lighter keys on the YPG-535 may keep the key action of the piano from being stellar, but overall it is surprisingly realistic.
Other Features and Specifications
One advantage of the YPG-535 is that it comes with the Yamaha Education Suit, one of the most award winning programs for teaching new pianists how to play the instrument. If you are looking for a piano to learn on, this feature alone is enough to make the YPG-535 worth your time.
Along with this, the YPG-535 comes with a 6-track sequencer, an expandable music database, one touch settings that provide you with a recommended voice depending on what style you are playing in, the ability to select a song and have the keyboard play along with you, like a virtual band, an attractive backlit LCD display, and USB connectivity, as well as dozens of other modes and features for you to discover.
The various modes and features of the YPG-535 are what really set it apart. If you are looking for a digital piano that comes with most every program you can imagine, the YPG-535 is the perfect fit.
This piano will help you learn to play, act like a virtual band, let you choose from 500 different voices, and provide you with dozens of other features, modes, and options to explore. Along with this, it has a good keyboard and a nice, realistic sound, making it a great digital piano to consider.