The Yamaha DGX 640 is the big brother of the Yamaha DGX 530 and is overall the superior instrument. The DGX 640 comes with a 88-key Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) keyboard—Yamaha’s flagship keyboard which is simply a joy to play, as well as a great sound and an almost limitless amount of digital features. In this Yamaha DGX 640 review we will dissect why the DGX 640 is such a popular digital piano and see what type of musicians it would be best for.
Yamaha DGX650B Digital Piano
- PureCF-sampled piano: Sampled from Yamaha’s acclaimed CFIIIS concert grand, no other digital piano brand at this price delivers recordings from such a high-end instrument.
- AUX line input: Connect any device with a line output like mobile devices, computers, mixers or even another keyboard and hear it through the internal speakers.
- 128-note polyphony: Provides enough horsepower for a dropout-free performance while layering two Voices and playing two-handed, sustained chords.
- 88-note, weighted GHS action: Heavier touch in the low end and lighter in the highs, just like an acoustic piano.
- “You Are The Artist” Series: Professionally-arranged, play-along songs matched with song books from Hal Leonard. Learn to play songs by artists like Elton John, Taylor Swift, Adele and more.
*last price update on 2020-06-04
The DGX 640 comes with 535 total voices to choose from, most of which have a full and rich sound quality. Concerning the standard piano sound, the DGX 640 is absolutely excellent. Yamaha’s innovating sound sampling techniques produce a sound that is full and rich with all of the nuances that make a piano great.
The DGX 640 has 64 notes of polyphony so you never have to worry about dropping a note prematurely. All said, the DGX 640 sounds amazing, especially for an affordable digital piano.
Key Action and Realism
The Yamaha portable grand DGX 640 comes equipped with the company’s GHS keyboard—Yamaha’s flagship keyboard and their most popular one to date.
Thanks to this keyboard, the key action of the DGX 640 Yamaha is simply amazing. The keys have just the right amount of resistance and are graded, just like an acoustic piano. If realism is important to you, then the DGX 640 is an excellent choice.
Other Features and Specifications
The Yamaha DGX 640 is absolutely loaded with helpful features, settings, and functions. These include 530 different quality voices, a digital signal processor that can add 237 types of digital effects to these voices, the renowned Yamaha Education Suite, USB connectivity, a built-in headphone jack, a large music database, Performance Assistance Technology, an Easy Song Arranger that will let you play any song in any style, and dozens more.
The DGX 640 weighs 83 pounds, meaning it’s not entirely portable but it is more than easy enough to transport into place.
The DGX 640 is a great piano with an absolutely superb key action and acoustic piano sound. It is loaded with hundreds of useful features and is a great instrument for any level musician. This piano is one of the best digital pianos from an already great company, making it an instrument worthy of a place in any serious musician’s home.